Hello Running Buddies!
Do you remember me? I don't blame you if you are looking at the screen, scratching your head, and wondering when the last time you heard from me was.
For those of you really wondering that, it was early July! Crazy.
This summer has absolutely flown by (everyone says that) and a lot has happened at the RGR house. No one event or reason has kept me from blogging though. I simply needed a break.
For those who just want a short list of what this Ginger has been up to the last few months, here you go!
- My last race was in April
- I took the rest of April, all of May and June off from running
- In May, I left my job of 8 years
- In June, I quit my new job
- In July, I started another new job
- Also in July I spent two weeks in Wisconsin for training for my new job
- In Aug/Sept I've been working on obtaining all the required certifications for my job
- We've been focusing less on running and more on adventure
- Remodeling the RGR House
- We decided to be Vegans for 90 days. One more month!
For those who want a little more detail, keep reading.
I'm going to be real honest right up front. Running has taken a back seat to all the other things going on in my life.
In the Spring I made it clear that I was experiencing some burn out and I think that contributed to my lack of blogging as well.
The burn out is still there. We are still running though. Kind of.
We are signed up for two races this fall. The Tulsa Federal Credit Union Tulsa Run
in October and the half at the Route 66 Marathon in November.
I know that some of you are confused as to why I'm running the Tulsa Run again. I have an entire blog dedicated to that. There is a lot to fill you in on. Stay tuned.
We have changed our training and we pretty much run on our own, just me and the Hubbo mostly with a few runs with friends every once in a while.
We don't run 4 times a week anymore, we run 2-3 times a week. We don't really even use our Garmin watches either. I'm really trying to find a balance with running that doesn't leave me with a feeling of burn out. We try to go on a walk 1-2 times a week for some exercise and I'm enjoying that for now too.
New Job(s) Update
In May, I resigned from my job at the College that I held for over 8 years. I guess you could say that that burn out feeling wasn't only affecting my running life. It was a hard choice to make to leave because I had a lot of really good friends and I was comfortable there, but I was really ready for a change. I knew I needed to move on in December when I was in my annual review with the CEO and I was trying to convince myself that I still had the "in it to win it" type attitude. I didn't.
It became VERY clear when we went to Hawaii to run the Honolulu Marathon and I was laying on the beach and I seriously didn't want to come home. I know no one wants to leave from vacation, but I seriously looked at houses for sale in Hawaii and looked for jobs while we were hanging out on the beach one afternoon.
So. I took a job with a PR company and that didn't last long at all. #JobFail It wasn't exactly what they portrayed in the interviews and every day that I went to work I found out more and more that made me realize it was not the job for me. The last and final straw was that I found out after I completed the training program it would require me to relocate in order to continue on the path they presented in the interview. Well they FORGOT to tell me the relocation part in the interview process! That is a big deal breaker for me right now, so I left.
So I spent most of June off work and job hunting. I got very lucky and through some networking and interviewing I was able to get another job that I started on July 1. So far things are going great at my new job and I'm almost done obtaining all the required certifications I need.
You guys! This summer I marked something off my bucket list. We went Skydiving! It was absolutely AMAZING and TERRIFYING all at the same time.
The Hubbo and I have talked about doing it for a long time and we finally jumped out of the plane!
Lately, I've been focused on having fun and trying new things. Over Labor Day Weekend, instead of going on a weekend getaway, we did a self-made local adventure weekend.
Here was our agenda:
- Happy Hour with friends - Friday
- Dinner with other friends - Friday
- Tulsa Drillers Baseball Game + Fireworks - Friday
- Skydiving - Saturday
- Lunch with my parents - Saturday
- Ziplining at Post Oak Lodge - Sunday
- Tulsa Roughnecks Soccer game +Fireworks - Sunday
Just a Ginger Zipin' through the trees!
Fireworks over Tulsa!
What's Next for RGR?
The Hubbo and I are in the process of finishing all the updates on our house. We've picked up some momentum and I really hope to be finished before the Route 66 Marathon in November. Then the plan is to put it on the market for sale in March/April/May of 2016.
We've also been eating a vegan diet for the last 2 months. On August 1st we decided to do a self-imposed 90 day vegan challenge. So far it's going great! We partially decided to do it because my cholesterol is a little high. I'm happy to report that I had a blood test done this week and my cholesterol improved by over 20 points!
As for running, I am not 100% sure what the future holds. We may back off from half marathons and focus on 5ks and 10ks or we may just run for fun when we feel like it. I'm really hoping that taking a break from it will help me enjoy it again.
Question! What have you been up to this summer?
Birthday Girl Wearing My New Necklace!
Today is my birthday! I'm home from work today because my company is super cool and we get our birthday off as a holiday. #YouShouldBeJealous
Last month a friend and fellow blogger, Bethany aka Half Marathon Mama,
did something cool on her Birthday and listed 31 things about her on her 31st bday. I thought to myself that I should really do that because my birthday is coming up. And then I thought, how am I going to come up with 31 things??!??
There's a problem with my logic, y'all.
I'm not turning 31. I was already 31
when I read her post. I turned 32 today. But for some reason in my mind even though I knew I was 31, I wasn't going to be 32. I was still going to be 31. I know, I know!
It doesn't make sense!
I even thought about my upcoming birthday all the time over the last month and it didn't even occur to me that I was going to be 32 UNTIL THIS WEEK!
Like 3 days ago! I was totally blown away! I guess it was my way of telling myself subconsciously that I am ready to stop aging! Ugh, is that possible? Can I just stop aging now?
32 Things About Me Because I Am 32
- Up until 3 days ago I just knew I was celebrating my 31st Birthday today
- I was wrong, I'm 32 ::Insert Sad Music Here::
- I think I'm Funny, The Hubbo may or may not agree
- I like to take pictures of The Hubbo when he's sleeping
- He thinks #4 is creepy
- I don't own anything that is Pink
- I never take myself too seriously
- I am not a girl that cries a lot
- I crave sugar like a crack fiend (Great, now I want a cookie)
- I just recently started to like avocados
- The picture above is me wearing a Squash Blossom necklace my mother-in-law made. She used beads from my paternal grandmother's Native American jewelry shop that we salvaged when we cleaned out her house recently. It was made with love and is now my favorite necklace because it represents both sides of my family! (My side and the Hubbo's side)
- I have trouble spelling the word restaurant every. single. time.
- Oh my god, we are only on #13
- My hometown, Pawhuska, has the largest armature rodeo in the world each July! Be jealous!
- I say "y'all" a lot on purpose because I think it's fun
- I competed in pole vaulting in high school and was terrible at it
- I painted my nails last night to match the paint job on my car
- The Hubbo and I met when I was in High School
- I'm pretty sure the Thunder won last night as an early birthday present to me. You're Welcome!
- I just finished a 3 day juice fast
- I've worked at the same company for 7 years
- I sing to The Hubbo every time we get in the car even though I'm a terrible singer
- He doesn't sing along with me. Rude!
- I sold ballet shoes, tights, and leotards in college but I've never taken dance lessons
- 24 is my favorite number
- Blah Blah Blah
- No one is probably reading this at this point anyway
- I just remembered I have chocolate chip cookie dough in the freezer
- I wake up at 7:19 every day and have to be at work at 8:00. I'm never late.
- I have 9 blog posts in my drafts just waiting to come out and play
- I'm a notary
- My newest obsession is SnapChat
The Hubbo's Bday present to me! Love it!
Question! How do you plan to celebrate your Birthday?
Now that my Spring 2014 racing season is winding down, I thought I would transition my blog into some other topics until my training picks back up in July. In a recent survey
I did, I asked my blog readers what they like to read about on RGR blog and I was a little surprised to see that 32% of you said you like to read about Ginger Shenanigans. So this blog was inspired by that and a recent conversation I had with an acquaintance of mine who called me and the Hubbo "Interesting People". So clearly that means that you all want to know what I do in my free time, right?
Of course you do, keep reading.
The Hubbo and I Go on Dates!
Recently, the Hubbo and I went on a date to our local Drive-In Movie
here in Tulsa, the Admiral Twin. We saw Captain America!
I posted this picture on Instagram
The movie was good but the experience of hanging out in your car and watching a movie just makes it all the more fun! If you come to Tulsa in the summer time, you have to do this!
In December the Hubbo and I went ice skating on a day date. That's when I knew that I'd better stick to running because ice skating is hard you guys! I posted this pic on social media and bragged about my high quality skating skills and how I was sure
to get into the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi! Turns out, I didn't. Weird.
So Yeah, I'm pretty much ready to go pro!
I Go on Adventures!
A couple months ago the Hubbo and I woke up on a Sunday morning and decided to go on an Adventure! So we loaded up in the car, got gas, and headed south! We drove to Oklahoma City (about an hour and a half away) and went shopping and had lunch for the day before driving home. It's nothing too fancy but it was a lot of fun.
Sometimes we'll wake up and decide to go on a hike and picnic on Turkey Mountain here in Tulsa. One time, we woke up on a Saturday and decided to drive 3+ hours to Springfield, MO just to eat dinner at Lambert's, Home of the Throwed Rolls. So good!!! So bad for your diet!
I'm Addicted to Social Media
Hi, my name is Sarah and I'm addicted to Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
True Story Y'all.
I'm a sucker for a Twitter Chat too. Mostly because the ones I participate in talk about running and racing. I do #RunChat on Sundays (Time Varies) and I do #BibChat on Tuesdays at 8:00pm CST.
What's a Twitter Chat? A Twitter Chat is an open conversation that uses a hashtag like #RunChat or #BibChat to allow people to follow along and participate in the discussion. They are fast, they are fun, they are informative, and they are a good way to connect with others on Twitter who share your interests.
I Go Bowling with Friends
Recently my friend celebrated a birthday and we went downtown to go bowling at The Dust Bowl. I'm not great at bowling but I always have a blast when I go. I consider it a HUGE success if I break 100. If I am able to get even one strike I start to consider going Pro! Not even joking! :)
I Go To Concerts
Yes, even in Oklahoma we have big name concerts that come through. I know that most people consider Oklahoma as "fly over country" but there are a lot of cool things to do here! I've seen Lady Gaga, Black-Eyed Peas, Miley Cyrus, Jason Mraz, Maroon 5, One Republic, The Band Perry, Miranda Lambert, and Katy Perry in concert here in Tulsa. This picture is from the Miley concert. She's riding a hot dog because of course she would ride a flying hot dog!
Don't Judge Me!
That concert made me feel old.
I Buy Shoes in Bulk
And apparently I like flats!
Thanks to Payless I got all these for less than $100. I don't spend much on my casual shoes so I can justify spending $150 on my running shoes.
So what do you like to do for fun besides running and racing?
In a recent blog post
this Ginger Kid went on a rant about 10 things that were annoying her. I decided if I was going to put my rantings out there in the Blog-o-sphere, I should probably put some love back out there as well. Here are a six things I'm loving right now.
1. Panera Bread's Chicken Cobb Avacado Salad
It just gets me. The End.
Zoey, passed out from magic of the electric blanket.
2. My electric blanket
I get cold all the time and the Hubbo bought me an electric blanket for Christmas last year and I promply broke it. Opps!
So this year he bought me a new one and so far I'm taking stellar good care of it!
It just so happens that my 5lb Chihuahua loves it too. Weird.
Howie just chillen' in the Juke!
3. Howie the Dinosaur
Howie is a 24 inch green blow up dinosaur that lives in my car. He goes everywhere with me. One of these days I might even let him run a race with me. He would probably beat me though and that would be sad.
^^Not My Photo^^
4. Google Analytics
Every time I publish a blog I love to check my stats to see where people are from who read my blog, how they found it and the funny search words they have used. So far my favorite search phrase is still "Gingers with big ol' bootys" That one will never get old!
5. Footie Pajamas
So let me explain this. Besides the fact that they were kinda popular this winter for some reason, I think footie pajamas are pretty much perfect for me and my idiosyncrasies. (<--That was a big word!) Not very many people know this about me, but I HATE walking barefoot on cold tile or cold flooring. I pretty much have to have my house slippers or socks on at all times. So my footie pajamas are perfect because I never have to walk directly on the cold floors when I'm wearing them! Problem Solved!
6. Trader Joe's 2 Buck Chuck
Well it's not really $2 anymore, but $2.99 is still pretty close so the name stays. I'm loving my White Zinfandel from Charles Shaw right now. I may even be enjoying a glass right now as I type this blog...
Leave a comment!
What are you loving right now?
In a recent blog post I looked back at 2013 and shared my recap of the year in terms of races, medals, and things running related. Since this is my very last post of 2013 I thought it would be fitting to do a personal (aka not running related) recap of the highlights in 2013 for the Hubbo and I.
In July, the Hubbo and I celebrated 10 years of marriage by going on our first cruise! We went to the Bahamas and it was beautiful, fun, and relaxing!
I FINALLY bought a new car and love it!
We saw The Lion King musical with my In-Laws and loved it!
This spring, we found 3 turtles in our yard at the same time! I seriously looked for a 4th one so I could name them after the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles but had no such luck.
We went camping with the Hubbo's company and we were totally roughing it...
I co-organized a Frisbee throwing and decorating contest and work and had a ton of fun!
We bought a juicer and went on a 30 day juice fast and lost some weight.
The Hubbo and I went on a day date to the Tulsa Zoo and took a lot of cool pictures of the animals. This one is my fav and the Hubbo took it.
We made refrigerator pickles for the first time and they were pretty darn good.
We were the perfect couple for Halloween. A Ninja Turtle and the Headless Horseman.
We went on a day date and went ice skating. I'm pretty sure I'm going to the 2014 Olympics with my awesome skills.
I took this hansom fella to my company Christmas party!
What are some of your favorite highlights from 2013?
It's a little hard to believe that 2013 is almost over. It seems like each year just goes by faster and faster. Unless you are on a juice fast and then 30 days feels like an ETERNITY!
In this blog post I want to recap all the fun running things that happened this year. Mainly so I'll remember them, but also because it's fun!
Races and Medals
Here is the collection of Medals the Hubbo and I picked up this year.
I only put one in from each race with the exception of the Route 66 Medals since his was for the Full and mine was for the Half.
This year I ran in a total of 13 Races in 3 States.
1 Ultra Marathon (50K) - The Go Short, Go Long, Go Very Long
1 Marathon - Little Rock, Arkansas
3 Half Marathons - Jenks Half, Route 66 Half, & Nike Women's Half
3 15k Races - Tulsa Run, Quarter Marathon Doubler, & Sweetheart Run Doubler
3 Timed 5ks - Purple Stride, Corndog Classic, Route 66 5k
2 Untimed 5ks - Dye Hard Fan Dash & Koman Race For The Cure
My blog turned a year old in October of this year so that's pretty cool. One of my favorite things to do is to look at Google Analytics and see the some behind-the-scenes stuff about my blog. Like the random search phrases or words people use to land on my blog. I've shared my top 6 with you. Enjoy!Top 6 Most Random Search Words/Phrases That Lead to My Blog
- Rainbow Brite Running Costume
- Bathrooms that way race
- Categories of Ginger Kids
- Running is Stupid
- Secret Things Only Gingers Can Do
- Gingers With Big Ol Bootys <--- Not even kidding on this one!
Random Running Highlights
We qualified to join Marathon Maniacs!
For the first time, we ran 2 races in one day.
For the first time, I ran a race without the Hubbo in another state, the Nike Women Half Marathon in San Fran.
The Hubbo and I both placed 3rd in our age group at the Purple Stride 5k!
I met The T-Rex Runner and The Prez of Marathon Maniacs!
Our Christmas Tree was totally running themed with bibs and medals and race shirts.
My Mother-in-law made me an amazing race shirt quilt and I love it!
What are some of your favorite running highlights from 2013?
If you have been on Facebook in the last 48 hours you've seen a TON of your friends post a status where they list anywhere from 3-12 things you might not have known about them. And if you like the status they will give you a number and expect you do to the same thing. It's kind of fun and pretty trendy right now. I did it on my personal FB account, but decided to do a running inspired post and put it here to share with you, my running buddies.
P.S. I just picked the number 10 because it sounded like a good idea at the time.
- I dislike weekday training runs, but enjoy my Saturday long training runs and have a LOVE/Hate relationship with races. See #2.
- I get super nervous right before a race to the point where I start shaking and feel like I'm going to vomit or wet myself. It isn't pretty. 5k-50k, doesn't matter the distance, it happens every time. But I love doing races and getting medals.
- I love having my running buddies with me all the time. I could never run a race alone. I'm pretty sure, I. would. die.
- I secretly have a dream of qualifying for Boston but am too scared to really try and train for it. (This is no longer a secret, huh?)
- I have to force myself not to sing out loud when I'm listening to my iPod and running with my group. I'm not sure they would appreciate the audio attack on their ears that early on a Saturday morning.
- I ran track in High School but hated long distance running back then. Now, I dread going to track night! Kinda funny how that one worked out.
- I've wanted a running skirt for a while but I don't feel "girly" enough to rock one. #tomboy4life
- I want to run a race in every State. So far I've ran in 4. So I only have little farther to go.
- I don't stretch enough or take ice baths after long runs. But I know I should.
- I'm not so worried about my time during races that I won't stop and take a picture or 5 along the way. It's more about the adventure than the PR.