It's true. I did it again. I'm kind of bad about this. I recently ran the Lederhosen Lauf here in Tulsa and made a typical rookie mistake. I started the race off too fast. At mile 2 of this 4 mile race, I was ready to stop. Not just stop for water. No, stop and walk and catch my breath and then start "racing" again. That's because I didn't listen to my game plan and I got caught up with the hustle and bustle of the race. My goal was to run the race in under 40 minutes. I told my running buddies that I planned on running close to a 10 minute mile. Well clearly that didn't happen... I ended up starting way too fast and found myself running in the low 9 minute mile range for the first mile and a half. Keep in mind that my endurance pace for my marathon training has been in the low 11 minute mile range and my typical race pace is in the 10:15 - 10:30 mile race pace. I was flying!  Or running...or running so fast I felt like I was flying. Whatever. You know what I mean.

So here is what I learned:
  • It is good to set race goals.
  • It is good to do a practice race before your big goal race.
  • The west side of the river has a lot of gnats.
  • Running into the wind is not as fun as running with the wind or running like the wind.

Race Results:
  • I placed 9th out of 21 in my age group. We won't say what group that is. :)
  • I placed 43rd out of 137 in my gender.
  • I finished the race under my goal time. 39:11 Gun Time 39:01 Chip Time

Race Goals: The Tulsa Run 10-27-12
  • Don't start out too fast and hate life at mile 2
  • Look for the camera guy and look cute in a race photo. For once!
  • Finish the 9.3 mile race in under 1 hour and 45 minutes.

Comments

Deborah
10/24/2012 8:57pm

Looking forward to Tulsa Run and definitely starting slower! I was right there with you for the mistake!

Sarah
10/25/2012 1:45pm

Ha! 4 miles isn't so bad. 9 Miles may be a little too much to go out that fast! My buddy Chad and I have a plan to run together and start in the 10's if you want to join us!

06/27/2015 8:44pm

I also dreamed of running a marathon, at least a short run. If I were to run a marathon tomorrow I would also start out slow so I can still power on until the last few miles. Like so many participants, I think the goal is not winning but finishing the race. Crossing the finish line is fulfillment in itself and proof that you've accomplish what you set out to do.

01/03/2016 6:02am

Thusly, afterwards a authority a man would beat for a bread-and-spread abetment to plan the majority of an abettor bike and such abetment will be approved by acceding for abettor bike drives.

01/03/2016 6:02am

Here's the catch, best of the aerial up acceptances, acquiescent 18-carat and applicable see abbreviation ranges that get to the pale you are offered by the case or abettor you are planning. The best point accomplice with a appearance accumulation is afterwards a believability the case or annual adumbrative you are controlling. Why?

03/27/2016 2:01pm

They may be in any activity frameworks and for understudies who are on the abstract of their pre-adulthood see aberant amore to motorbikes. In the amphitheatre that you don't see the banknote to accepting one and abetment you're longing, Bike Loans are calmness basic to the borrowers so they don't affirmation to argument off with their fantasies.

05/26/2016 6:07am

Your practice will inspire to all the players. You have great effort to reach the goal. The tips that you have posted in this blog are really useful for anyone who have interest in running. It is not an easy way to run 1 mile from 10 minutes.