I am afraid of a lot of things. Spiders give me the creeps. I'm afraid of the dark. Toddlers that stare at me with that blank awkward gaze totally freak me out. And I can't walk through a parking lot at night without thinking that everyone I see is going to try to steal my purse for the $4 in cash I have in it. Which is also why I usually carry my cell phone and car key in my pocket when I have to go to the store alone. Fact.

A couple of days ago the Hubbo and I registered to run our first 50k. I had to Google to find out just how many miles that is. Google says a 50k is 31 miles. Just FYI. The race is right here in our own hometown of Tulsa. Bonus! No travel costs! It is called the Go Short, Go Long, Go Very Long. You can see the cute medal in the picture below.

You may be wondering why we registered to run the race? Well, let's be honest. So am I. Here are some of the factors we considered when we decided to sign up.
  • The 25K was already on our schedule to run with our training group, so we would be spending the money anyway.
  • If and when we finish we will have met the Bronze criteria to apply to become a Marathon Maniac
  • We get a cool medal.
  • Who doesn't want to run 3 marathons in 90 days?
  • And last but not least, it would give me material to blog about.

But really the deciding factor was the Maniacs thing. We are already Half Fanatics so we thought it would be fitting to join the Maniacs as well.

And the truth of the matter is I really am terrified. This race is right in the middle of our training for our goal race; the Little Rock Full Marathon. So get this. We ran the Route 66 Marathon in November, took about a month off and then ran the Double Half Marathon in December. Started running again last week and now we have 3 weeks before our first 50K. Then we'll take one week off from the run to rest and then have about 7 weeks to continue our Little Rock training. It just seems crazy to me. It is totally taking me out of my element of my normal training routine.

So I decided to come up with a race strategy and a mantra. My mantra is simple. Keep Going. That's it. That's all I have to do. Even if I have to walk some or a lot of it. I want to keep going. I want to finish. I want to join the crazies who call themselves Marathon Maniacs!

As for my race strategy, the jury is still out on that one. I'm thinking of either slowing my starting pace way down or doing intervals. I'm also currently taking suggestions.

Be sure to come back in a few weeks to read my race recap of the Go Short, Go Long, Go Very Long 50K!

Comments

Linda M
01/08/2013 7:50am

Sarah, I know you guys can do, you all are just maniacal. You do realize that is just another way of saying crazy.

01/08/2013 8:16pm

LOL Thanks Linda. Donovan is the maniacal one. He's actually really excited about it!

Sara
01/15/2013 3:15pm

50ks are great and fun! Words of advice, slow down, walk the hills (Even early on), and there is walking in 50k. Oh and have a blast!!

01/15/2013 5:56pm

Thanks for the tips Sara! I'm glad that this course is mostly flat, so that will be helpful. But I will be walking most of the hills.

This would be the right weblog for anybody who wishes to discover this topic. You realize an excellent deal of its almost tough to argue along with you (not too When i would want…HaHa). You really put a brand new spin employing a topic thats been written about for decades. Wonderful stuff, just amazing!

01/17/2016 9:58am

Both the web and the concrete apple are calamity with spots area you can get a change with abhorrent credit, no acclaim check, and no assignment affidavit about what these present acclaim sharks don't acquaint you is that their activity of accommodation fees are aerial to the point that one day you may end up with the payday beforehand mafia advancing afterwards you!

02/01/2016 10:18am

Sarah, i likes your motivational blog posts related to health, running, healthy food etc. Thanks for sharing some rare & really inspiring in formation about health and fitness.

02/21/2016 2:26am

The Bike advances are aloof as accessible to borrowers continuing acclamation issues i.e. poor or abhorrent credit. Along these about-face borrowers who are alleged with abhorrent advocacy are CCJ's, IVA, arrear, defaulters, adornment 11, in this way exchanging can accumulating the bike starting now on the off amplified that they see the alleviation to change the aboriginal absolute with the pined for assimilation rate.

02/27/2016 5:33am

Running is always a great thing for all the people and we can make our life great. The people should work hard to become first in their respective race and make their name in the community.

A very informative site. The method you have share this information is actually very appreciative. Want to see even more on this topic right here.