A couple weekends ago, the girls and I packed up and headed west to run a little race... Well maybe not so little! We ran the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco, California with 30,783 of our closest running buddies. This was the biggest race I've participated in yet and I can't even imagine what it would be like to run the New York marathon with 40,000 runners! (Good luck to everyone about to run the NYC Marathon!) We had a lot of fun, saw a lot of cool things, ran some miles, walked some miles, and made some awesome memories!

Day 1:
We flew out of Tulsa on Friday and had to up get REAL early. Like so early I'm pretty sure it should be illegal to set your alarm for that time! But we managed and we made it to the airport in plenty of time.

Some of us were on different flights and we all had seats randomly sprinkled in the cabin of the airplane so I had to entertain myself for both legs of the trip out to San Fran.

So what does any Ginger do who has to sit next to a stranger on a long flight? I took a lot of selfies and pictures out of the window. Duh! I'll save you the selfie's and just show you my favorite picture of the clouds.

So. Many. People.
We got to the hotel and we were lucky enough that they let us check in super early! Thanks Hotel! So we dropped off our stuff and headed out to find food and the expo. We went to a cute little place called Honey Honey and ordered mimosas and breakfast. Alcohol makes you run faster, right? When we got to the expo it was CROWDED! Did I mention there were over 30,000 of us trying to go to Niketown and Union Square to pick up our stuff? This picture is the checkout line at Niketown. Which is where they had all the official race gear for purchase. The Expo was small in space and in vendors. I get it, the race is put on by Nike so of course other shoe and clothing vendors aren't going to be allowed to come in, but it was still small in physical size.

The Expo had this cool little photo op right outside the tent so we stood in line and asked a random stranger to take our picture. There are actually 5 of us in this picture, but Darla is hiding behind the "R".
Hi Darla!

Another cool thing about the Nike Women's Marathon is that every race participant's name is printed and listed on the window of Niketown. Mine is somewhere in there. I'll give a internet High-Five to anyone who can find it! And Go!

It's like a fun little game of where's Waldo. Only Waldo is actually your name printed on a wall with 30,000 other names and you have to elbow your way to the window to try to find it and somehow get a picture of it, because that's what all the cool kids were doing.

We all managed to get our race packets and do some shopping for race gear that first day. I love the fact that our race bibs were round. I don't think I've ever had a round one. This bib was also cool because the timing chip was attached to it on the back. So you didn't have to put the little yellow DTAG on your shoe.

After our long day of  traveling, getting checked in at the hotel and the expo, and even a little shopping we decided to sit down and rest our legs and hydrate. Of course that means beer. Again, alcohol makes you run faster right?

Day 2:
Saturday, or the day before the race, we all swore we didn't want to do a lot of walking but what happens when 5 girls are turned loose in a new town? Shopping. That's what happens. Lots of shopping. And shopping = walking. Oh well. #RedHairDontCare. We had fun. And we picked up some cool stuff from the Farmer's Market.

We made our way down to the Ferry Building were I got this awesome shot. I was trying to make it look like I was holding up the Bay Bridge but whatever. We'll work on my modeling skills another time.

Running a half marathon wouldn't be legit without some carb-loading. We managed to get the earliest reservations possible at a pretty nice restaurant. When I say early, I mean EARLY! We got there at 4:30 and I'm pretty sure we were the only ones in the place and we were finished before the others really started to show up! It worked out OK, because we were tired and wanted to go back to the hotel to rest, foam roll, etc.

I always try to make a race dummy the night before the race so I won't forget anything or won't find myself scrambling the morning of the race. Well even though I made this snazzy Ginger Race Dummy, I still forgot to wear my back-bib. Oh well.

The typical corral race day photo.
Day 3:
Race Day!

We got up around 4:30 AM and started slowly getting around. We were all in different corrals so we didn't worry about meeting up before the race. At the Expo one of the volunteers told me we should get to the corral no later than 5:00 AM. Um, what? The race starts at 6:30! Plus we heard that since we were in the last corral that last year runners had to wait an hour after the starting gun went off just to cross the start line. No Thanks!

We dropped our bags at the gear check and made our way to the front of our corral. Turns out we only had to wait about 35 minutes from the starting gun going off until we actually got to start our race. The race was so crowded! If you want to run a race and try for a PR, this is not the race for that. We spent so much time and energy just weaving in and out of people and it never really opened up.
There were people at the front of every corral keeping the crowds pumped and ready to run so that was entertaining. We also had some guys hanging out of the window to their hotel room giving us a fun little dance show as well. We started running and my watch was totally off while we were still downtown. It said we were running like a 13 minute/mile pace which was not true because I was breathing way too hard for that!

The first 5 miles were pretty flat.  Luckily, I had stopped at a port-a-potty around mile 3 and took care of business. The lines at the bathroom stops were pretty long for the rest of the race.
But then we hit a pretty big hill from mile 5-6. Ugh! Why didn't I do more hill training?
We survived the hill and somewhere after mile 6 they were handing out face wipes. That's nice and all, but I still have a good 5 miles to go and I'm going to keep sweating.
Around mile 8-9 we hit our second big hill which about killed me. Again, why didn't I do more hill training? After that hill they were handing out chocolate on the course. I love chocolate but didn't think it would be a good mid-race fuel option so I just tucked it in my race belt for later.
Anyways, back to the talk about hills...
Going up hill and having to dodge and weave in and out of people is really tiring and frustrating. If you are going to suddenly stop and walk in a race, please move over to the side so I don't have to dodge you last minute to avoid injuring both of us. Ok, running rant over.

The ocean is out there somewhere.
I was told there was a perfect photo op where I could take a picture and the Golden Gate Bridge would be behind me. Unfortunately, the weather was super foggy all morning and we couldn't see more than a quarter mile away. So I didn't take many photos on the course, because they all would have looked like this!

On the positive side, I'm grateful that the weather was cool. If this had been a warm race, I wouldn't have met my goal.

We were finally able to finish and as soon as you cross the finish line you are wall-to-wall people and you get in line to get your finisher's "medal" which is actually a Tiffany necklace handed to you by a volunteer. Well not just any volunteer...   A San Francisco Firefighter in a Tuxedo! Nice!
The wall-to-wall people made it hard to stay warm and your body and your muscles cooled down fast! We made our way to the bag check area but didn't realize that once you crossed over from the finishers area to the bag check area you couldn't go back and get a picture with a Firefighter. Bummer!

This race ends several miles away from where it started in downtown San Fran so if you need to get back to your car or hotel in that area, you had to have purchased a bus pass at the Expo. About the time we got on the bus, the sun came out. Figures. Overall, I had a great race and even beat my goal time. I wanted to finish in under 2:30 and I managed to finish in 2:27. Not a PR for me, but not the worst half I've ever done.

Here is our finisher necklace! I love it and have been wearing it ever since I got it. After the race we went back to the hotel, met up with all the girls, showered and then went out to dinner. Once we got back to the hotel we had a wine happy hour by the fireplace. Such a nice way to wind down after race day.

World's Biggest Carousel. I think...
Day 4:
Monday was our completely free day. We all finished the race and didn't have to worry about how much we walked, what we ate, or had to drink. Watch out San Fran! These Okie girls are young, wild, and free!
Ok, maybe not, but you get the idea.

We tried several times to book a trip to Alcatraz, but with the Government shut-down the trips booked up pretty fast. We had also planned on going on a winery tour but that didn't happen either. We did see this GIANT carousel.

I'm on a trolley y'all!
We went on a Trolley down to Fisherman's Wharf where we saw the Sea Lions sleeping on the docs, ate at a really good restaurant called the Franciscan or something and of course, did more shopping. After we were all done walking/shopping took the trolley back to our hotel to get packed and ready to go home. We had to leave our hotel at 4:00 AM (Yes ANOTHER super early day on this trip!) because of the BART Strike and our flight that left at 6:50. So. Early.
Overall, the race was good, I had a lot of fun with the girls, got a Tiffany necklace, and I got to cross this race off my bucket list.

What races are on your bucket list?

Comments

10/30/2013 8:55pm

San Francisco is such a beautiful city. I haven't been there in a while but I would love to do a race there. Love your hydration liquid of choice by the way and congratulations!

RunGingerRunBlog - Sarah
11/01/2013 3:17pm

Thanks Frank! What we saw was beautiful! I can't wait to go back and take the Hubbo with me. I'm sure we only got to see a tiny portion of it.

01/20/2014 4:30am

04/16/2014 5:52am

Hotel oriental inn is most strategically located near to U.S Consulate and in the heart of the city, opposite the Dr.agarwal eye hospital, Just 3km from both Central & Egmore Railway Station, close to the Marina Beach, the tourist offices, the shopping & entertainment areas, besides the throbbing corporate hub of this metropolitan city.Conveniently situated in the centre of the business and shopping hub of Chennai

Please keep continue sharing.

06/10/2014 5:40am

nice posts

06/16/2014 3:51am

A leading Online Cake Showroom to deliver cakes from French Loaf Bakery in Chennai, Birthday cake, Eggless cake, Kids cakes,
Wedding cakes, same day and guaranteed delivery of cake from French Loaf Bakery in Chennai

08/29/2014 4:31am

We provide quality car rental services Delhi to Mussoorie Taxi. Car Rental services available for all cab types, economical, AC, Non AC and luxury.

09/01/2014 2:17am

Marriage counseling helps in RE-BUILDING your relationship. Marriage and Relationship counselor helps you to recognize and move from the IN-LOVE experience to pursue REAL- LOVE.

09/06/2014 1:39am

If you are planning to go to Shimla then you are recommended to hire Delhi to Shimla Taxi as a huge range of car rental companies are available in the market who provide cabs to travel.

09/13/2014 5:36am

If you are looking for car rental service for Jim Corbett. Delhi to Jim corbett Taxi provide Car Rental services available for all cab types AC, Non AC.

09/19/2014 5:20am

Delhi to Ranikhet Taxi is one of the famous delhi to ranikhet car rentel company . We provide all types of cabs like a/c, non a/c, and luxury.

09/21/2014 3:00pm

Doing work as a copy writer rocks ! work. It's love which could guide you for getting massive attain and analysis. It's my job to love to supply promptly article writing pertaining to students and those fellas who're busy with planning themselves pertaining to professional exams.

09/23/2014 5:52am

Shimla is most famous hill station in Himachal Pradesh. TajTripCar offers reliable and affordable delhi to shimla taxi according to tourist.

10/09/2014 1:14am

Chandigarh is one of the heritage city in India. Tajtripcar provides delhi to Chandigarh taxi services with suitable taxi according to client since many years.

10/10/2014 6:39am

Nainital is one of the most charismatic hill stations that India harbors. Delhi to Nainital taxi is involved in offering clients with hired taxi.

10/16/2014 3:46am

Anubha Verma, a practicing Counseling Psychologist for over 18 years provides Career, Personal, Marriage, Relationship and Family Counseling services for an informed and better decision making process.

Zedex Fire Services is a ISO certified company in Gurgaon. We deals in fire extinguisher manufacturers and fire alarm systems manufacturers.

10/20/2014 2:29am

Computers themselves, and software yet to be developed, will revolutionize the way we learn.

10/28/2014 4:22am

I have visit this blog first time and totally enjoyed it really.

10/28/2014 4:23am

I was about to say something on this topic. But now i can see that everything on this topic is very amazing and mind blowing, so i have nothing to say here. I am just going through all the topics and being appreciated. Thanks for sharing.

Advantageously, the article is really the best on this notable topic. I harmonize with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to your approaching updates

10/30/2014 4:05am

They are maintaining this nicely. I am so impressed by this.

10/30/2014 4:08am

Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations.

11/04/2014 5:29am

Java coaching center and best training institute ln all IT courses in Gurgaon, Delhi, India.
SSDN technologies provide core and advance java training. for call all details:-0124-4018080/+91-9999509970

11/05/2014 11:40pm

Career Counseling can help in making decisions and planning. Right profession choice results in pleasure and entertainment in your work and satisfying your goals. career counselor in delhi.

11/07/2014 7:53am

Sure such as good articles post in this glod and fabulous i am very good site post Thanks for this nice article,

11/13/2014 3:49am

Thanks for sharing your blog. Your content is worth reading

11/27/2014 4:29am

was working and suddenly I visits your site frequently and recommended it to me to read also. The writing style is superior and the content is relevant. Thanks for the insight you provide the readers!

These should not be overlooked as without a good web presence you won't be able to grab out many profitable deals. The key task in web business promotion is to attract potential and new visitors. To get these tasks done effectively, professional Website Designing Company in Delhi provides services intended for website layout, website development, business logo creation, e-marketing, SEO, ecommerce, etc.

but if you cut off any one of the three main constituents (fuel, oxygen or heat), the fire will stop. Fire extinguisher manufacturers are a particular group that have profited from the rise in such tragedies, due to the rising demand of fire extinguishers at workplaces and at homes to prevent such calamities. Fire extinguisher manufacturers have increased in number throughout the world over the past few years, as a result.

12/29/2014 4:20am

Thanks for sharing this content.

12/29/2014 11:49pm

i enjoyed to read it. thanks for sharing post

12/30/2014 12:19am

i enjoyed to read it. nice post, thanks for sharing

12/30/2014 12:37am

Thanks for sharing.... I appreciable blog
keep it up... :-)

12/30/2014 1:42am

Thanks for sharing.... keep it up... :-)

Zedex Fire provide advanced conventional fire alarm systems. We are Manufacturers of high quality designed Fire Alarm Systems.

floralcountry is one of the leading flower shops in gurgaon is swollen with pride to offer a broad diversity of fresh flowers for your gift-giving wants

Usually the problems are solved through certain kinds of psychologist in Delhi dealing with improvement in the life of married couples. The key problems can be identified through the web counseling specialist and you'll be offered some practical and valuable advices.

01/09/2015 4:08am

This was ac really great contest and hopefully I can attend the next one. It was alot of fun and I really enjoyed myself.

03/09/2015 3:02am

Netscape India is a website designing, development and internet marketing company located Delhi, Gurgaon, India,specializes in mid to large sized corporate web projects.

03/11/2015 4:19am

"A chain link fence is known by different names such as wire-mesh fence, wire netting, diamond-mesh fence, chain-wire fence, hurricane fence and even cyclone fence.

04/16/2015 11:51pm

StoryMirror is online portal there any writers, poeters, authors and submit his story, short stories and poem etc with free of cost. if You story selected as best story then we publish a book with your loyalty.

04/22/2015 5:47am

Online shopping across various categories products with Buying Regroupment . you get many offers on many products, and Deal of the day etc.

05/03/2015 10:46pm

Hello there, simply become alert to your blog thru Google, and found that it's really informative. I'm going to be careful for brussels. I will be grateful when you proceed this in future. Many other folks shall be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

05/13/2015 1:36am

Precious treasure one of which is a science, because it will never disappear, your blog is the fruit of knowledge and hard work.

07/22/2015 1:04am

Escape games are the ‘in’ things, literally, as they have made the world go crazy over them. Originating from video games, these computer games have given a new meaning to the idea of collective fun and entertainment.

07/22/2015 4:44am

Adhunik Cooling System provides a warm-air heating, ventilating and air-conditioning HVAC Contractors in Gurgaon and Uttrakhand.

THE CREAMS creates beautiful designs and unique cakes perfectly tailored to your event theme and to your tastebuds!

09/21/2015 5:32pm

I am glad to read this post, its an interesting one. I am always searching for quality posts and articles and this is what I found here, I hope you will be adding more in future. Thanks

10/23/2015 5:08am

Find online health insurance Policies, Compare health insurance plans, Medical Policy, Affordable health insurance. Get Free Insurance Quotes from top health Insurance Companies in India.

02/06/2016 12:40am

Traditionally people arrange for a skilled cook to cook the food. Inviting guests and satisfying everyone and along with the food arrangements it becomes hectic for the people to organize and manage everything these days. Thus catering services are the prepared options now and RAA wedding catering services in Chennai provides a various varieties of menu to satisfy the need of different cultural and traditional needs. Outdoor catering services and marriage catering services in Chennai are done within your budget needs with various varieties.

02/11/2016 1:32am

Thanks so much for a great post. I'd like to know more about these topics and hope that I can receive more insight into this topic.

In and outdoor catering services with different crockery , As u know everyone has an Idea to get best catering services for unforgettable moments in occasions like birthday party of our ( parents, friends and our babies, etc ), ring ceremony, marriages, weddings,etc. Our Catering Services will make your family sounds as good to your surroundings and makes u feel as luxurious.

03/22/2016 7:42am

Really this blog site keeping an unique and fascinating information.Thanks for show to us. Maintain it up.

04/11/2016 5:27am

When you partner with us as your full service commercial window cleaning company, you have retained the areas top notch window cleaning service.

High PR Directory Submission Sites list? Now here you find top high PR Directory Submission Sites in 2016.

Pretty! Ƭhis was an incredibly wonderful post. Тhank ʏoս for
supplying this info.

05/23/2016 4:23am

Insuring India brings you online comparison of Life, and Insurance policies, with best quotes from all insurance companies in India

06/04/2016 4:37am

Really your work is really good and also i like this article.Thanks for share.

Sports News: Read latest news of cricket, football, tennis, hockey etc here and also know the live scores of cricket, football, tennis, hockey.

07/07/2016 2:08am

we are specialists in all types of cakes. we take cake order for every special occasions of yours like birthday, wedding , engagement ,farewell etc., and yes we do provide home delivery service.

07/15/2016 9:57am

Best Brahmin catering in Chennai - Sri Aishwarya Catering Service. We also provide a services in wedding , birthday party, get together , fare well, corporate party. <a href="http://www.sriaishwaryacatering.com">Brahmin catering in Chennai</a>

Buoyancy Technologies is a Premier IT Training & Consultation Institute in Chennai that provides High quality, Job Oriented Training programs for Oracle, Cloud Computing, Java, Web, DBA, Software Testing and Microsoft technologies.

It’s really a good idea. Many days have passed I thought about the snowy tour. In this season I must go there. Living cost is also reasonable. Thanks for blogging.

07/20/2016 7:55am

I have read this post, its an interesting one. I am always searching for quality posts and articles and this is what I found here, I hope you will be adding more in future. Thanks

Eumaxindia is a Advertising agencies based in Chennai specializing in Newspaper ad,Outdoor ad,Television ad,Radio ad etc..

04/28/2017 7:13am