I know there are a lot of marathoners and half marathoners out there who cringe at the idea of participating in a 5K. This ginger-kid is not one of them.
#RedHairDontCare

One of the reasons I love the running community so much is that a lot of the races we like to participate in are tied to a charity or nonprofit organization that needs assistance with funding, support, or awareness.

This weekend was the Oklahoma chapter of the Purple Stride 5K. This race is a benefit race put on to raise awareness and funding for PanCAN aka Pancreatic Cancer Action Network.  A friend of mine has been recently directly affected by Pancreatic Cancer and put together a team in honor of her loved one. When she told me about the 5K, I immediately knew we'd be running it with her! The race was a lot of fun. It could be that the race had Zumba going on before the opening ceremonies or it could be that I got to run and hang out with some friends. Either way, it was a good time for a good cause! I've never been to a race where they did Zumba as a warm-up, but I LOVE the idea!

To help raise awareness for PanCAN and Pancreatic Cancer in general, I sent an email out to my co-workers and a bunch of us wore purple the day before the race to get pumped up! It was fun and we even managed to get most of us together for a group picture!
Purple is the Pancreatic Cancer color in case you haven't figured that out yet. :)

I'm super proud of my team! We managed to place in several different categories for the overall event!

*My team, Laurie's Purple Warriors, got 3rd place in overall fundraising!

*We raised over $5000! The event itself surpassed their $80,000 goal by raising over $90,000 for cancer research.

*Our team captain, got 4th place in individual fundraising!

*The Hubbo got 3rd place in his age group (30-39) and totally smashed his 5K PR by almost 2 minutes!

*I got 3rd place in my age group (30-39) as well!

My overall race results:
  • Time: 29:09
  • 44th out of 130 timed runners
  • 3rd out of 22 for my age division
  • 14th out of 72 for my gender

Random Picture Alert!

Also - two weeks ago the Hubbo and I joined Team Jenny in the Tulsa Komen Race for the Cure! We had a ton of fun, got a little wet, and provided a little support to a friend who just finished her treatment for breast cancer!

Can you see the storm behind us in this picture?! Eek!

Question - What is your favorite race that is tied to a good cause?

Comments

10/20/2013 10:50pm

5Ks are my least favorite, but next year, I am going to learn to love them!

Congrats on the AG awards!

10/23/2013 1:54pm

Thanks Kristy! I am definitely appreciating the less wear and tear on my body by doing the shorter distances. Your body will probably appreciate it too!

03/12/2014 10:12am

I just can run for 1k :(

05/16/2014 2:17am

You may have not intended to accomplish this, but I think you have managed to express their state of mind that quite a few people are in. The sense of looking to help, but not finding out how or where, is something many people are going through.

05/21/2014 8:50pm

My spouse and i was very encouraged to get this site. I desired to thank you for that special read. I definitely savored every small it and I have you bookmarked to view new stuff you write-up.

07/02/2014 4:21am

I love to play tennis with friends in my personal lawn. Get online help for solving your assignments and papers. I feel happy to help others in their exams.

07/17/2014 11:07pm

for those of you who have made ​​this page. I want to tell that the page is very useful for me. I can see my life through this page. thanks guy

08/04/2014 10:21pm

This job requires patience. I'm so happy when I found this page. This is very helpful for my life.

08/06/2014 1:45am

I am very happy because my work so smoothly thanks to adanyya this page that you create. I am very grateful to you.

09/11/2014 10:02am

What is your main question, i think you have to type simple and very clear question to get better answer from our online help desk team. We appreciate your presence at our network but you have to read our policies and using services guide line. Hope you will get some clear answers from that section.

01/02/2015 2:52pm

Hey that was terrific to study. Thanks for the great post .Loved each and every single portion of it.

For the reason that the admin of this site is working, no uncertainty very soon it will be renowned, due to its feature contents

04/08/2016 2:03pm

Have you ever realized that you actually often just sekerdar open your blog to admire. ty guys