Yesterday The Hubbo and my P-Town friends ran a fun little 5K here in Tulsa called the Goo Run.
The Goo run is exactly what it sounds like. A messy gooey fun 5K. It is a traveling fun 5K similar to Warrior Dash or the Color Run. You can see where they will be next by clicking here. It's a little expensive for a 5k, so sign up early or follow them on Facebook to see the discount codes they put out frequently.
Have you ever signed up for a race with your friends months in advance and at the time you thought "Oh yeah, let's do this race, it will be fun!" and then the day of the race you wonder what the hell you were thinking? Or maybe you thought to yourself "Was I drinking when I agreed to this?" No? Just me? Weird.
Well at first when my friends mentioned doing the Goo Run I was all like...
Then we showed up to the event and it was cold and windy and then I was all....
Plus, in this 5K you got a shirt and a "medal" when you crossed the finish line. I use the term medal loosely though.
Also - I realize I'm being a total rookie here and 1. I'm wearing the shirt from the event and 2. It's cotton.
That didn't last long.
The fun run started 15 minutes before the 5K and the 5K runners got to shoot Goo all over the fun runners. It was messy and people were shooting Goo all over. I was a total chicken and tried to avoid the pre-run Goo even though I knew in less than 15 minutes I'd be covered in it.
We ran through a Goo waterfall at the very beginning and the very end. We ran through 5 Goo stations where volunteers were shooting Goo directly at us. We got lucky on one of the Goo stations and ran by without getting hit because the volunteers had to reload their Goo guns.
The Hubbo ran most of the race alone and us girls hung back and made inappropriate comments during the 3 mile run. Because we are mature and all. I'm sure you can imagine so I won't go into detail.
They are kinda cool and unique but since they are plastic with Goo inside of them, I suspect that in a few years the Goo will be dried up or turn brown or something not as pretty as right now.
Tips for the Goo Run 5K
- Bring friends! This was way more fun with my friends than it would have been had I done it alone. Plus, people that you just met may not appreciate your hilarious yet inappropriate comments. :)
- Wear a "clean" layer of clothing. And by that I mean, were a pair of shorts and a tank top as a base layer that won't get exposed to the Goo. There weren't any changing areas or showers so we had to strip down as much as possible in the parking lot before we got into the car. Bring plenty of towels.
- Wipe the Goo off as soon as possible. The stuff is made out of a jelly silicon like substance and when it dries on your skin it cracks and kinda hurts.
- Take Pictures! You'll want proof that you were able to tolerate a crazy, silly, mess to show off to all your friends and make them totally jealous that they aren't as cool as you.
- Don't wear your good running shoes/clothes. We had to wash our clothes twice and our running shoes three times. I wore an old pair of shoes, but the Hubbo wore his good pair. Luckily everything did come out clean.
- Wear a hat! It's almost impossible to get Goo out of long hair. So you may want to cover it up. I wish I had, but it's too late now. I'll be pulling Goo out of my long Ginger locks for weeks!
- Wear sunglasses. They Goo volunteers found it to be a personal challenge that if you covered your face while running through a Goo station, that is exactly where they wanted to hit you with Goo. So wear some sunglasses to protect your eyes.
- Check out parking before the event. They charged $10 for parking if you parked in the parking lot adjacent to the starting line, but if we parked across the street, it was free.