How did you celebrate this year? A fun 5K? A night out on the town with friends? A day filled with harassing all your co-workers who didn't wear green today?
I fell into that last category. I forgot to wear green and spent the better part of the day in my office hoping no one would notice. Luckily, I survived! Whew!
Every year on St. Patrick's day I get asked the typical, "You have red hair, you must be Irish?" question. Well sorry to burst your ginger-loving bubble, I'm not Irish.
Usually, after I let people down easily and tell him I'm not an O'Connor or an O'Neil then they follow up with another assumption, "Oh, so you must be Scottish?" Nope! I'm not a McDuffie or a McCracken either. Although, if I did have the last name McCracken, I would totally run around all the time and threaten to RELEASE THE CRACKEN when I get mad. Good news for you all, I can't do that because that's not my last name.
Anyways, back to my typical St. Patrick's Day conversation. Usually after people hear I'm not Irish or Scottish they stand there, looking confused. That's when I let them in on my secret. I'm Native American, Cherokee to be exact. I even have my fancy CDIB card and all.
I know, I know! You all are probably saying this right now, Native Americans don't have red hair! Welp, It's true. It can happen. In fact, in college one of my Native American Studies classes was lead by a professor (a Native American herself) who said that a lot of Indians actually have red headed descendants nowadays. I don't know all the science involved but there's something about Native American genes mixing with Caucasian genes and producing redheaded babies. Ta da!
17 Running Confessions
1. I can't run in a straight line. (Sorry running buddies!)
2. I hate the consistency of running gel's.
3. I think about the Boston Marathon every single time I run.
4. I can't do math when I run. Or spell for that matter.
5. I wear soccer shorts to run in instead of running shorts because they fit me better.
6. I've recently decided that I'm a Saucony shoe lover. Sorry Brooks, we are breaking up!
7. I'm currently trying to decide if I can do the Hal Higdon marathon method this fall in my marathon and be successful at it. (Run a mile, walk a minute)
8. I recently applied to be an Ambassador for Bibrave.com because I'm pretty much a huge fan of that site and the people behind it. (Finger's crossed that I get it!)
9. Blah blah blah...
10. Number 9 was just to see if you were paying attention.
11. I have 3 Half Marathons scheduled in April.
12. Number 11 makes me nervous.
13. I haven't had to go to the Chiropractor at all this training session! (Knock on Wood!)
14. It's now my goal to avoid the Chiro for this entire training session.
15. I've never ran a St. Patrick's day 5K, even though I know of two of them in my area.
16. I'm addicted to running socks right now and have to keep myself from buying a pair every time to I go to my favorite running store.
17. I just realized that 17 things about me is too many so, The End.