Recently, I had to take 2 weeks off from running which you can read about here. But it gave me time to think about how I handled my forced break from running. I read other runner's blogs, a lot of them actually and I've noticed a common theme among runners and run bloggers. Everyone seems to be hating on their rest days lately. It's like some runners think if they can't train for 24 hours their world will end. I'm pretty sure it won't.

Then I felt guilty. I felt like I wasn't a real runner. I, of course, wanted to run during my time off, but I knew that I shouldn't. (Doctor's Orders) So I didn't. I felt guilty because all these runners on the media are constantly talking about how they can't take a rest day without being stressed or feeling like they are going to fall apart and here I am just hanging out on the couch watching my shows! I was more worried about my fitness level declining and having to start back up after my break. I was only 2 weeks into my marathon training plan.

I know some people say they need to run to relieve stress. I think that's great! You found a productive way to handle it. But, if you are that stressed that you can't focus on something else for 24 hours to give your body time to recover, you're doing life wrong. You need to check yo-self before you wreck yo-self!

So with my recent break from running I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not that kind of runner.

I'm not that kind of runner that hates the idea of taking a rest day. Rest days are the best days in my opinion. I don't know about you, but training for a marathon takes up a lot of my time. I also have laundry, grocery shopping, bills to pay, a house, a yard to mow, a full time job, spending time with friends and family, and my favorite reality show, Big Brother, to keep me busy too. Plus lets not forget that I also cross train 2-4 days a week as well. A rest day, or two, is exactly what I need to catch up on all those things each week.

I'm not that kind of runner that goes on a rampage about how I had to sit out for a couple weeks. Sure, I wrote a blog about my recent MIA status from the blog and from running, but it was more an explanation as to why I've been so silent lately. Turns out that when I don't run as much, I have less to say on the blog.

That being said, being injured totally sucks, I 100% get that. But you know what else sucks? Injuring yourself from skipping rest days. That kind of injury is 100% avoidable.

I'm not that kind of runner that freaks out about the taper. If anything, I'm relieved when it is taper time. My body takes a beating during marathon training and I look forward to the lower mileage weeks to allow my body to recover so I'll be ready to go on race day.

Here's the gist of this blog summed up into two memes.
Some runners are all like....
And I'm just over here like...

Question! What are you thoughts on rest days?

Comments

08/11/2014 6:35pm

Oh God I love rest days. When I did my last long run in marathon training I staggered around happily singing "It's motherf----ing taper time!" I did get a little mentally wigged out about slowing down, but nothing beats a little relaxation.

08/11/2014 9:27pm

Omg! I am totally stealing your song for my next taper week! lol Love it!

08/11/2014 6:55pm

I have to say I agree! I don't need to RUN every day. I don't mind rest days, and I've found comfort in my new routine with more cross training. I think the anxiety for me comes from the fear of weight gain, lost fitness, etc. So, if I can do SOMETHING, that's ok. It admittedly is usually hard for me to take a true rest day with no cross training unless I'm just totally wiped out.

08/11/2014 9:30pm

Oh I agree with that too! Rest days can be "active rest" days. We do our long runs on Saturdays so I try to make sure I get all my steps in that my VivoFit requires on Sunday as a shake-out walk. Or swim, or bike, or a light hike on Turkey Mt.
BTW - glad your training is going well!

08/11/2014 7:37pm

Your kind of runner is my kind of runner! Rest days are best days. When you train every single day and freak out about one day of rest, it comes across as extreme and super stuck-up. If you don't like sitting on the couch watching Netflix for hours, you just have a problem. :)

08/11/2014 9:32pm

LOL Right? I do those kind of marathons too! Netflix has the best marathons if you ask me! If only they gave out medals...

08/11/2014 7:41pm

I WISH I could run every day, but 4 days a week, is about all my body allows, I can do 5 if the runs are all short. Being brittle sucks. ;)

Glad you are back it, and were smart about it.

08/11/2014 9:35pm

Thanks lady! I'm glad to be back too. I'm also glad that if I had to sit out it was early in my training session. I still have 14 weeks left so I got lucky there. My current training program calls for 5 days a week of running and I just can't. One of my coaches called the Wednesday run "junk miles" so I don't see the point in the extra wear and tear on my body.

Jana
08/11/2014 8:35pm

I absolutely take advantage of rest days. It keeps me from getting burned out. I also know that it really does let your body heal from hard and long workouts.

I was injured late spring--collarbone injury--and it kept me from running (THANK GOD I was allowed to brisk-walk) for 4 weeks, and then run (slowly) with a sling for another 4. It killed my swim season. Every time I remotely overdid it, my body and my collarbone gave me a talking to, that's for sure!.

08/11/2014 9:37pm

I didn't even mention burn out! I get there too.
That collar bone injury seems awful! Glad you are all better now though!

Terri
08/11/2014 9:12pm

This is such a timely post and I thank you for it. I have been training hard for 10 weeks and doing great....up until mid last week when I started getting that tender feeling in my right leg that can only mean shin splints. Taking a couple of days off to rest is the only way to heal properly, so I'm told (in addition to ice, anti-inflammatory, trigger point, etc.). Your blog post will make this mandatory rest time a little easier to swallow. However, I still prefer to choose my rest days, not have them handed to me in the form of an injury.

08/11/2014 9:45pm

So glad it resonated with you! Sorry to hear about the leg! Definitely get some rest and hopefully it won't stick around too long. I agree with you on choosing your rest days vs having them chosen for you. That's the part that sucks.

08/11/2014 9:31pm

I am totally with you! I love to run but I LOVE to rest. Rest and taking time off from running is as much part of the stress reducing as running is!

08/11/2014 9:46pm

Exactly! There is nothing I like better than coming home from work on a rest day and just getting to hang around the house versus rushing out the door to get sweaty! It's pretty relaxing.

08/11/2014 10:01pm

Totally agree! I do not do programs that do 6 runs/week. I need 2 rest days a week!! I've even done program with 3 rest days (whee!!)

08/13/2014 7:54pm

Living on the edge! I like it! My current training plan has 3 rest days built in, but for two of the days, they say you can do cross training.

08/11/2014 10:04pm

I agree! We are always doing something with the kids so it may be a rest day from running but there IS something else going on I assure you! I'm jealous you got to catch up on your shows!

Haha, love the Second Rest Day graphic. I'm a big fan of rest days, too. It's nice to recharge and to sleep in or to have a couple extra hours to get stuff done around the house. You're still a runner, even if you're injured. :)

08/13/2014 7:55pm

I LOVE to sleep in! We only get to sleep in one day a week because of work/training so that day is super important!

08/11/2014 10:49pm

Last winter I was training regularly, injury free, but in a rut. Then appendicitis in January sidelined me for 2-3 weeks. I came back with a vengeance and set a 5K PR in March!

Now I'm only running 3-4 days a week, but biking on the other days. Yet I am still improving. I guess I've learned the challenges are mental as well as physical. Good luck!

08/13/2014 7:57pm

Appendicitis? Yikes! Glad you were able to come back from that quickly and gain a new PR! Congrats!

08/11/2014 10:54pm

I LOVE rest days! We all need to do a better job of listening to our bodies and taking a step back from training. A rest day or two is not the end of the world! Hope you're feeling well rested and better :)

08/13/2014 8:05pm

Exactly! The world will keep turning even if I don't run or if I do.

08/11/2014 11:28pm

I love my rest days. Actually, I feel guilty when I admit that I have more rest days than run days. (But I do cross-training, and that beats up my body too.) I love nothing more than spending the entire day lazing in bed and snugging my cat. (I'm pretty sure he practices witchcraft. I mean seriously, the whole day??)

08/13/2014 8:02pm

I hear ya! There is nothing more that my dog loves than a Sunday where the Hubbo and I hang out on the couch with her!

08/12/2014 4:02am

As a streaker, I don't do 'real' rest days but my version of a rest day is joyful and relaxing for me. Running at least a mile every day has changed and conditioned my body and actually helped to prevent and avoid injuries. Before I started, I did struggle with rest days where now, I don't stress out about lack of mileage, pace etc...

08/13/2014 8:06pm

I'm not a big fan of long streaks of running. I think, for me, that would be a one way ticket to burn out. Right now I'm enjoying the training and I won't want to get to the point where it is a chore.
If you love streaking, good for you! Keep going!

08/12/2014 5:26am

You're not alone - I don't mind taking time off - especially when I'm injured. I consider it doing myself a favor when I do take time off.
ANYTHING can become an addiction. Love, food, collecting cats, running. I think the people you are talking about are addicted to the sport, or the feeling it produces. Some people use it to replace what they can't get it other areas of their life, especially when they are entrenched in social media along with it. So, don't feel guilty! You probably wouldn't feel that way if we had little access to how others felt about it.:)

08/12/2014 6:21am

I look forward to the rest day. I would rather rest and recover than overwork my body and risk getting hurt. I will even take 2 rest days when I get closer to a marathon, because I want to save energy for the long run day.

Angela
08/12/2014 6:36am

We are big brother fans too. I plan my rest days & runs around big brother!

08/13/2014 8:03pm

Ah! Just realized that I missed BB tonight! Sad!

08/12/2014 7:19am

I'm totally your kind of runner. I love rest days and don't mind tapering at all.

08/13/2014 8:00pm

Is it bad that I'm already looking forward to the taper for my marathon? It's still a good 13-14 weeks away. LOL!

I can totally relate to not being that kind of runner. I also can totally get on board with the hobbit style second rest day. I enjoy running, but does not mean I don't love not running too.

08/12/2014 7:41am

Dude, I build TWO rest days into my weekly schedule. I have a very busy life that I love, and I'm not willing to trade it in for running/working out. I love running and what it does for my physically and mentally, but it's only a part of my life, not my whole life.

08/12/2014 11:20am

I'm with you. I like rest days and have come to respect their purpose. Sometimes I need a mental and physical break.

09/18/2014 5:42am

very nice. very useful blog for all sports man and who like the all sports games.

Thanks
It is your comments and interest that keep us going.

12/03/2014 3:49am

This is a great inspiring post. I am pretty much pleased with your good work. You put really very helpful information. I am looking to reading your next post.

12/08/2014 10:26pm

Thanks for sharing the information. All the best to you.

05/30/2017 9:05am

A truly edifying site. The way you may have share, Don't hurl a great deal of too rapidly, be that as it may. Hold everything open up with respect to concern.

06/04/2017 9:20am

Exceptionally noteworthy distribution here. Besides as I see, this question. Pleasant article, a debt of gratitude is in order for the data.

07/28/2017 9:22am

I didn't even mention burn out! I get there too.

07/28/2017 9:24am

Great article ) A lot of interesting information ) Thanks )