This weekend the Hubbo and I took a trip half way across the US and ran the Ventura Half Marathon in California. This was my 10th half and the Hubbo's first visit to Cali! Even though the trip was really quick we had a great time and got to meet new people and see some friends!
We started our trip by getting up way to early for a vacation day (4:30am) to catch our flight out of Tulsa. We landed in LA around lunch time on Saturday, rented a car, and drove on the 405 towards Ventura in the middle of the day! I was more excited about it than the Hubbo was which was weird because I was driving! For a girl from a small town with one stop light, that's a pretty big deal! The race was on Sunday and then we got up on Monday and made the trip back home. Here's how it all went down.

The Medal

Picture2014 Ventura Half Marathon Medal
You guys know from reading my previous race recaps that I always start with the medal. One, because it's my favorite part and two, if you don't read any further I want you to check out this bling! The 2014 Ventura Half Marathon medal was voted on by the runners a few months ago. I'm super excited because this is the one I voted for! If you look closly at the left hand side, you can see that they added a bottle opener. I love it and it looks really good on my medal hanger.

The Course

If you are looking for a PR for the Full or Half Marathon, this is the race for you! The course is flat as a pancake! In one of the emails I received from the race, they listed facts about the finishers from last year. In 2013, 21% of the full marathon finishers qualified for Boston
I'll just let that soak in for a bit....
Here's the elevation map for those of you who would like to verify for yourself that it was, indeed, flat. The course is basically an out-and-back for the full and for the half. It's not too scenic though. I thought we would be running right on the ocean side, but I understand that this is the better option for a safe race and I like to keep living sooo...

The Expo/Beach Party/Swag

This was the first race that I've been to that had an outdoor expo and I loved it! The beach party was in full swing on Saturday when we arrived to pick up our packets and was a little different than I was expecting. They had vendors at the expo, a live band, beer for sale, and of course, packet pick up. Picking up our packets was super easy, we just had to look up our bib numbers ahead of time and get in the right line. They emailed us a link to look up our bib numbers in the days leading up to the race. The expo was small but super convenient being as it was right by the starting line and right by the hotel we stayed at. If you do this race next year, definitely stay at the Crown Plaza right by the pier. It's perfect!
According to the race the race photos are free but they haven't been released yet. That is an amazing perk for a race since the photos are usually super expensive!

The People

PictureGeorge, Me, Hubbo, Clarinda, Katie
You guys! This was the best part of the whole weekend! We got to meet up with our friends from Twitter that we first met up with at the Mustang 50th Anniversary Half Marathon this April in Las Vegas!
Here is a fabulous picture of all of us that George managed to get. You all might remember George since he was the RunGingerRun Buddy of the month of August.
Also in the picture is Clarinda from Enjoyingthecourse.com who manged to get a PR in the half this weekend! Congrats!
Katie is the one rocking the cute outfit with the lei and super fun skirt that she made herself! She always has the best running costumes and makes her own skirts! You can see some of her other skirts here. Oh and Katie got a PR too!

PictureShane + Sarah = Race Twins!
I also got to meet a new Twitter buddy, Shane, who was running the half. It turns out he's running the Honolulu Marathon in December too! It's like we are race twins! Can you see the resemblance?

Shane is awesome because he just celebrated his birthday this week and ran 41 miles in honor of turning 41! Just days after the Ventura Half!

Happy Birthday!

I also got to meet an Instagram buddy, Mr. Eddie, who lives in Ventura! He said he can practically see the finish line from his house! How cool is that?

I don't know what's going on with my eye in this picture. I promise I'm not trying to be a member of KISS and no, Mr. Eddie didn't punch me in the eye either.

My Stats/The Weather

PictureMid-Race Selfies are the best!
Going into this race I knew I wasn't in PR shape. I only had 9 weeks to prepare and I ended up missing almost 3 of those weeks. I definitely don't mind running a race just for fun. You can see that George and I managed to have a little fun on the course!

Time: 2:21:26
87th out of 172 in my Age Group
Average Pace: 10:48/mile
Overall Place: 513
Total Women: 1048
Total Men: 606

I was doing pretty good until mile 11. The sun was really shining and there was very little shade. We all know I'm not a hot weather runner so between the heat and lack of shade, I started to get goose bumps which is a bad sign. So between the bathroom break at mile 3 and walking a little in the last two miles, I'm still really happy with my results! My goal going into this race was to be under 2:30 and I did it and had fun! Boom! Done!

After The Race

After we were done visiting with everyone at the finish line, we went back to our room rested for a bit and showered. Then the Hubbo and I set off on our adventure to explore the beach and downtown Ventura! After lunch we went to the beach and took some pictures then decided to head into downtown which wasn't far from our hotel and we stumbled upon a local shop called Very Ventura. I chatted with Angela who owns the shop with her husband. They were really nice and gave us recommendations for a good place to eat for dinner. I bought a cute tank top that was printed by a local artist and the Hubbo bought a wooden decorative piece that spelled Ocean or Beach depending on which side you are looking at, which were also done by a local artist. We found so many cute things and if we had checked luggage instead of just carry-ons, we would have come home with a lot more stuff!

50 States Map

The Hubbo and I have a very relaxed goal of eventually running a race (half or full marathon) in each state. Here is a map of what we have accomplished since we started running in 2012.
This year alone we will have ran in 4 new states,
Kansas, Nevada, California, and Hawaii!

Question! What race is next for you? How many states have you raced in?

Comments

09/11/2014 6:01am

Congratulations on your race and thank you for your great race report. My brother used to live in Ventura and has ran the event several times. He is not running long distances now but used to be he and several of his friends would come to Tulsa from Ventura and run the Route 66 half or full.

09/11/2014 11:28pm

Thank you! It was a great race. We absolutely LOVED Ventura and hope to be able to go back and visit again sometime.

Shaun
09/11/2014 10:05am

Congrats on a good race!!! That looks like am awesome race to do and the bling looks very nice.
I am doing a half this weekend. Hopefully the bling I get is half as cool as that one

09/11/2014 11:29pm

Thank you! Good luck on your race this weekend! Which one is it?
I'm definitely a sucker for a good medal!

09/16/2014 1:17am

! That looks like am awesome race to do and the bling looks very nice.
I am doing a half this week

Congrats on a great race! Sounds like a lot of fun, plus that medal is pretty sweet! I think I've only done half marathons in 3 states, but I'd love to check off 25 eventually... not sure I'll ever be able to swing 50, though that would be awesome if I could :)

09/17/2014 2:44pm

Thanks Heather! Right now we just have the goal to get at least 1 or 2 states a year that we haven't raced in. This way will take us forever, but we are enjoying the journey!

01/15/2015 1:59pm

Great post. If you gather wallet modify by writing for content plants placing yourself in that classification might be an expandable. But many writers who are considered experts obtain much of their income from other sources yet still earn the brand.

Una delle gigantesche stranezze di una ditta individuale è la facilità di programmazione. Insignificant più per comprare e offrire azioni o organizzazioni che richiedono. Sinceramente, non vi è alcun prerequisito per la presentazione o evento formale di strutturare una ditta individuale; è un espresso che sale comunemente dalla sua attività.

While they antecedently pay idle time enjoying hobbies, whereas not day loans companies, they're close to use their time sorting in throughout that throughout that throughout this throughout that to strengthen their gain instead. In connectedness this, slightly low home primarily based altogether altogether all business like get and sell on-line or freelancing through freelancer sites unit in throughout that throughout that throughout this throughout that to earn a lot of gain.

03/01/2016 9:53am

Good luck with the next race!
<a href="http://essay-academy.com" >Research Paper Help</a>

04/24/2016 12:20pm

Ventura Half Marathon Race recap is just great kind of event for me. All the information about this game and event is available here. The characters of Hubbo is also very cute and interesting. I love to visit this website many times in a day. This race was going too held on Sunday. <3

04/27/2016 8:26pm

The world is changing fast. people are also being transformed. day by day we are becoming more dependant on degital system. you are making me think of this really. You have a great method of sharing your thoughts.

06/03/2016 1:57am

Great ideas the online sale of customized promotional products, customized office stationery,and branded merchandise, festive products, event supply and other related corporate services

06/08/2016 4:28am

Justpro.co is an exclusive corporate e-commerce platform that
caters to the requirements of the corporate sector by
facilitating the online sale of customized promotional
products

06/19/2016 12:08pm

Star War game depicts an unusual games of War which can be threatened for the force.

07/01/2016 1:13am

NICE PRODUCT

08/01/2016 4:21am

Nice products thanks for sharing this post

We are the best fashion designing institute in Chennai aiming to provide a creative career path for students with a professional level training

05/12/2017 6:34am

Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking.

05/28/2017 2:44am

I like this site – its so usefull and helpfull.Pretty! This was an extremely wonderful article.

05/30/2017 12:55am

Excellent article share with us as well as this blog site is thrills even more people to reading that blog.

05/30/2017 2:09am

This is really an informative and awesome blog to see, thanks for sharing such a terrific blog..

06/05/2017 12:45am

this site us so fantastice i like it.<a href=http://softwaresdaily.com/teamviewer-12-crack/>teamviewer-12-crack<a/>

06/08/2017 3:13am

Thanks a lot for the lovely article. I really appreciate the hard work you put in it.

06/08/2017 4:06am

The information you have posted is very useful. The sites you have referred was good. Thanks for sharing..

06/09/2017 7:13am

It would be difficult to imagine a worse year for our police than 2016. Partial video surfaced showing alleged racial profiling and excessive use of deadly force. Cops have answered false emergency calls only to be shot by self-appointed anti-police vigilantes. And in one of the worst events in recent memory, peace officers protecting protesters were murdered by a sniper. Cops have even been gunned down indiscriminately in their patrol cars for no other reason other than they were wearing a uniform.

07/26/2017 1:41am

Awesome post! Thanks a lot for the kind of perfect topic.I like your post. Thanks for sharing

07/31/2017 2:29am

Manufacturer of Magnetic Separator, Magnetic Equipment, Vibrating Equipment, Vibrating Screen, Vibrating Feeder, Lifting magnet, Magnetic Lifter, material handling equipment, Vibrating table, Magnetic Pulley, Magnetic grill, plate magnet, Gauss Meter

08/10/2017 12:49am

"Vibratory Motors, Vibrating Motor, Vibratory Motor manufacturers, Vibratory Motor Suppliers, Vibratory Motor Exporters, Vibratory Motor India, Vibratory Motor for sale, vibrating motor for vibrating table, industrial vibratory motor, Vibration Motors, Vibrator Motors, Unbalance Motor, Vibro Motors, unbalance vibratory motor, Magnetic Drum Separators, Vibratory Motor, Vibratory Motor manufacturers, crane magnet”

"magnetic separator, magnetic separators, magnetic separator manufacturers, magnetic separator Suppliers, magnetic separator Exporters, magnetic separator India, magnetic separator for sale, magnetic separator price, roll magnetic separator, drum magnetic separator, overband magnetic separator, liquid line magnetic separator, Permanent magnetic separator, electromagnetic separator, plate magnetic separator, magnetic coolant separator, magnetic Concentrator separator, conveyor magnetic separator”