We all know that I'm Not That Kind Of Runner who freaks out over the idea of taking an extra rest day. In fact, extra rest days are welcome to show up at the RunGingerRun house anytime they want!

Right now I'm tapering for my next marathon. Before you roll your eyes about this being a post about a runner going crazy on the taper. It's not. It's, in fact, the opposite. I'm not going crazy that I'm running less. I'm enjoying it a little too much! Now that the long runs are all in the books, I'm ready to fully relax. I want to let go of my diet and eat pizza and have Dr. Pepper (my weakness) for dinner every night! But I know if I start doing that a few days away from my next marathon, the Route 66, it certainly won't help me get the shiny new PR I've been dreaming about for over 18 months!

The Hubbo and I managed to run our scheduled 3 times this week and our 4th run of the week is tomorrow morning. While I'm looking forward to our last 8 mile run with our training group, the 3 runs we had this week were brutal! Not only did the weather here in Oklahoma snap from 70* on Monday to the low to mid 30s Tuesday and the rest of the week, but it also gets dark at 5:00pm now and even our 4 mile tempo runs felt hard.

Anyway, I'm worried that with this attitude of extreme desire to be completely lazy that I will hurt my chances of a PR at the Route 66 Marathon.

A good omen though is that the extended forecast for the weather are looking good, so I'm excited about that! Temps in the low 40s and climbing to the mid 50s throughout the day. Perfect running weather for this Ginger!

I'm glad the weather is looking good because I have a very ambitious goal laid out for myself. My previous marathon PR is here at Route 66 doing the extra .3 mile Center of the Universe Detour in a time of 5:16. This year I want to do the same distance, 26.5 miles, in:
A: Finish close to 4:45
B: Finish under 5 Hours
C: Just PR
D: Just finish!

I know that seems like a lofty goal for myself and I agree. But there are a few factors that make me think I can come close to my "A" goal.
1. I've never ran a marathon pain free from Plantar Fasciitus and this will be my first attempt.
2. I've been training with a running group and based on our paces 4:45 should be attainable.
3. I'm going to sign up for a pace group at the Expo to avoid going out too fast in the first half.

In other news, Bart Yasso is coming to the Expo at Route 66 and I totally want to meet him and get a picture with him. I tweeted him and told him my plan and he agreed so if I get arrested on stalking charges someone come bail me out and be sure to have Twitter pulled up! :)

I'm just curious, am I alone here? Have you ever hit the taper and then lost all motivation to keep up your training for your race?

Comments

11/15/2014 7:19am

I totally freaked out during my taper for the marathon and I vowed "Never Again!". It just works. I found myself at the start line so full of energy and feeling so good that I have no need to question its effectiveness every again. Bring on the lazies! (Minus the Dr. Pepper overdose of course lol)

11/17/2014 6:23pm

LOL Thanks Frank! Now I just have 6 more days and I have managed to not binge too much on Dr. Pepper. I also had a good taper run tonight so I'm feeling good. Time to Trust My Training as my coaches always say!

11/15/2014 8:40am

I have never had the desire to run a full marathon...and only twice have a run a half....not too much tapering done at that level but, I am always glad its over when the race actually gets there.

11/17/2014 6:25pm

I didn't get hit with the marathon bug until after my third half. Then I ran a few fulls and went back to the half. I'll be glad when my full is over in December so I can really relax!

11/15/2014 1:19pm

my problem with the taper is I enjoyn it so much that I start to make myself worry that I am not doing enough and then I will go for a long run when I shouldn't. It's a head game that I always have problems with

11/17/2014 6:26pm

I can totally relate! My coaches keep telling us over and over, "Trust your training". So far I'm doing ok! I had a good run tonight and just have one more for the week.

11/16/2014 9:17pm

My race is two weeks away and four weeks ago I was waiting for my taper to begin. I totally understand how you feel. I am ready to get back to my life and carefree running. The more rest days, the better. Bring on the sleep (and some ice cream)!

11/17/2014 6:28pm

Good luck with your race! Which one are you doing?
And ice cream is totally on my post-race meal plan! :)

Black geek mom
11/17/2014 9:08pm

I'm doing the Space Coast marathon in Cocoa Beach Florida. It's where the Kennedy Space Center is. Definitely satisfying my runner and geek sides all at once. :)

11/17/2014 3:27pm

If I could do all of my training as a taper, I would!! So glad to hear I'm not the only runner with a case of the 'lazies'!!

11/17/2014 6:28pm

Oh man, it hit me hard last week. So far, this week has been better. Fingers crossed I can keep it up!

I know I haven't read this post yet, but I had total deja vu when reading it, as if I had. So strange. I enjoy the rest during taper, though I freak out a little in my head, wondering if I did enough - - the freaking out does not lead me to go out and do more, I already know it's too late and would likely lead to an injury haha.

02/13/2015 11:28pm

I would like to refer to a very important factor that we like the way you write the submit to the level.

Nice to read your article about your routine life and running a marathon. It's so great not only to win a title, but it is also good to be fit in your life and for your enjoyment. I like the way you are adding this post that motivate you to work hard for your marathon.

10/17/2015 1:08pm

Yes right.

10/22/2015 9:40am

I am impressed with this article.

04/07/2016 1:47pm

Educators accept abundant acquaintance to see appointed accessories from their understudies and can additionally acumen whether it was done by them, or whether they had addition abroad do it for them. It is not that difficult to accomplish for them, in ablaze of the way that they apperceive how you allocution and accomplish through the added actuality you've submitted and sometimes it is awfully clear.

04/17/2016 12:32pm

The borrower may be asked for that battle over the abettor at a predefined date and time, at the present time arising him an befalling to discharge his inclinations from the auto, that are not an auto's draft guaranteed.