PicturePhoto Cred: Honolulu Marathon
You guys! It's finally here! The Honolulu Marathon is just a few days away! I can't believe that we signed up for this race in April and now race week is upon us! To say that I'm excited is a huge understatement!

To add to the excitement, as part of a new project I'm taking on as part of my BibRave Ambassadorship, I got a fancy new GoPro camera in the mail today! I'll be able to share more on that later but I'm super excited it got here just in time to go to Hawaii with  me!

My Race Plan

PicturePhoto Cred: Honolulu Marathon
Let's be real clear right off the bat people. This race will be warm.  I've said it 100 times already, I am not a hot weather runner. I've been stalking my weather app on my phone and watching the temps in Honolulu for a while now. It. Will. Be. Hot.

The race starts at 5:00am and we'll be running almost 2 hours before the sun comes up so that is on our side. The course description, according to the website, says "The terrain is level except for short uphill grades around Diamond Head."  So that sounds promising to me.

The Hubbo and I have the plan to run the whole race together. We haven't done that in a while so that will be nice. We also realize that we ran a marathon 3 weeks ago so we plan to take this one at a much more relaxed pace. In fact, being as the Honolulu Marathon has no time limit and race walkers are very welcome, we plan to do a run/walk/run strategy for the whole race. We haven't figured out the exact intervals yet, but we just want to sit back and enjoy the race and the beautiful scenery! So this will definitely NOT be a PR race for us, but we plan to have a good time!

Packing For A Race and Vacation 3,819 Miles Away

According to Google the distance from Tulsa, OK to Honolulu, HI is 3,819 miles. That is a very long way to go if you forget something! Here's my plan. I will pack all my my race day needs in my carry on. If something happens and my bags get lost, at least I won't to have to buy all new running gear at the Expo. So anything and everything I need for the race will be carried on. The rest of my belongings will be packed in my regular suitcase.
I may toss a few other important things in  my carry on bag like my swimming stuff and flip flops. That's pretty much all I need the rest of the week, right?

Confession: I'm an over-packer y'all!
It's true! Every. Single. Time.

If you don't believe me, look at this picture. This is my living room the day before my first out-of-town race.  From the looks of this picture it appears that I would have been gone several days or at least traveled a great distance. Do you want to know where I went for my first out of town race? To Oklahoma City. A measly little 1.5 hours away from Tulsa and for only 1 night!

The struggle is real y'all!

You can't see it very well, but in that blue bag on the left side of the picture is my toaster and a loaf of bread. Yes. A freaking toaster!!!!
Don't worry, since we are flying I won't be packing my toaster this time. But no promises that I won't pack far more outfits than I can possibly wear while we are there! I mean c'mon. You never really know what you are going to do until you are there and you may need 2 outfits a day, right? Ladies back me up on this!

Fun Facts About The Honolulu Marathon

Picture2013 Finisher Medal Photo Cred: Honolulu Marathon
  • The race starts at 5:00 am
  • The race is kicked of by a Fireworks display!
  • It is the 3rd largest race in the US
  • Over 30,000 runners participate each year
  • There is no registration cut-off
  • There is no time limit
  • This race is only a full marathon or 10K race day walk
  • The Elite 1st place winner gets $40,000!
  • The men's course record is 2:11:12 set in 2004 by a Kenyan
  • The women's course record is 2:27:19 set in 2006 by a Russian

Question! What is your favorite Racation destination you've been to or want to go to?

Comments

Paula Lee
12/09/2014 10:36pm

Big Sur CA did it last year, sox beautiful!

12/10/2014 11:48pm

I love the medals from Big Sur! I've heard a ton of great things about that one!

joan VanDorn
12/09/2014 10:56pm

My dream racation destination would be Alaska. I hate Hot weather for running shoo Alaska sounds perfect

12/10/2014 11:48pm

Oh! Alaska does sound nice! When you find a race you want to do, let me know! We'll go with you. #GingerRoadTrip!

12/10/2014 7:22am

I'd love to run Big Sur or Honolulu!

12/10/2014 11:49pm

I'll be sure to report back on Honolulu, but I think everyone should get to run in Hawaii at least once!

Amber Smith
12/10/2014 7:51am

My favorite racation so far was DC for Marine Corps Marathon. There are so many more racations I have in mind... Big Sur and Maui to name a couple. I am so excited for my favorite Gingers and can't wait to hear all about your trip. You are going to fall in love with Hawaii!

12/10/2014 11:51pm

Thanks friend! I can't wait to get there and to mark marathon #6 off! Good luck on your marathon this weekend!

Shaun
12/10/2014 9:45pm

I would love to go to Jamaica for there marathon. Good luck in Hawaii, stay hydrated and you pace yourself and you will beat the heat

12/10/2014 11:51pm

Thanks Shaun! Been trying to hydrate really well all week. I know the day we fly will be a struggle, but we'll have a day to recover. Jamaica would be nice! But also hot probably. I better leave that one up to you!

12/16/2014 7:07am

Ha ha! I love that you packed a toaster and a loaf of bread to go to Oklahoma City.

I can't wait to read your recap of the Honolulu Marathon. I'm sure it was awesome! I've only been on one racation ever, and it was to Indiana, about 3 hours from my house. Not as cool as Honolulu, but it was still a lot of fun!

12/23/2014 2:08pm

It's always nice to get away from home for a bit, even if it just a few hours! :) We had a great time! I'm about to sit down and write my first post on Honolulu so you should see it soon!

12/17/2014 6:53pm

Can't wait to heat all about your Honolulu experience. How you enjoyed it.

12/23/2014 2:07pm

We had a great time. I'm just now sitting down to work on my post so I should be going up soon!

01/15/2015 1:46am

I first had wanted to learn to blog, but not so because of lack of motivation, but this blog is very good.

02/02/2015 4:11am

L'IVA del modello devono essere costretto a contenere la popolarità del denaro fiscale mercante, i dati dell'azione essendo all'interno del principale dalla soldi delle tasse rivenditore, il pensiero dell'azione si trova di solito all'interno della tabella "Classificazione delle azioni economiche - divinità greca CO 2007 ".

02/02/2015 5:34am

Thanks for your data. You equipped food items for considered. Many thanks for sharing the data and info. All the best to you.

It's always delicate have a "miscellaneous" category that allows for those periodic or abrupt expenses; perhaps a fast cash day advance. Also, manufacture a category for ancient automobile maintenance, visits to the masterful or the remainder does annually, semi-annually, or perhaps tri-annually.

08/03/2015 8:14am

Honolulu Marathon Race week and the other race that the athletes run is always awesome because it make them feel great if they will will a title. I also like to run a marathon and getting training and doing practice for it.

09/22/2015 11:49am

Thank you very mush for this post, very usefull and informative information :)

12/22/2015 7:54am

Awesome Post

A very insightful website. The method you have share this information is truly extremely pleased. Hope to see more on this subject here.

04/07/2016 1:48pm

At whatever point you are because artifice one of your assignments and attractive for afterwards bottomward an commodity that is at a game-plan over the Internet, booty some anticipated to accede how you are corruption your academy cost. Not artlessly are you corruption your money, you are additionally assuming that you're candid get organized was a completed absurd beforehand additionally, in like way what ability appear if you got.

The beforehand accentuation is the foundation of your piece. Achieve that one book that battles the point, the animate exchange, and the aspect of your article. It will be the aftermost book of your presentation and the starting date for the straggling bits of the piece.

04/03/2017 7:25am

Hello admin! This is remarkable article as well as it is valuable for the entire person and I want to say that I would like to write on this subject too. You have an interesting written of this topic.

05/15/2017 10:52am

We like to read this issue.. Thanks you've made it clear!

05/25/2017 3:47am

Hey – great blog, just looking around some blogs, seems a really nice platform you are using. I’m currently using WordPress for a few of my blogs but looking to change one of them over to a platform similar to yours as a trial run. Anything in particular you would recommend about it?

Really nice content ... Admin... Have great information I contribute with your experienced... I hope you post again soon. I am very happy to leave a comment for this blog, which really put honest information...

08/01/2017 3:10am