My 7th marathon is less than two weeks away and I'm trying to mentally prepare for it.
I survived my last long run of almost 20 miles this weekend but my training this season has been less than stellar. I'm pretty sure won't be setting any PRs anytime soon. But I willing signed up for this race and I'm going to give it a shot.

Why?

Because I like medals.

I collect them. It's not just a collection. It's something I can say that I earned as well. Every step of the way. I know some runners don't care much about medals and we all have different reasons why we sign up for a race, but this is mine.

When I'm picking a half or full marathon, I go through these questions in this order:
1. Does it have a medal? If yes, move on to question two. If the answer is no to this question, there is no need to move forward to any other questions.
2. What does it look like? If I think it's neat, cool, unique, etc. Move on to next question.
3. Travel, Lodging, Cost. If it's affordable, move on to next question.
4. Does it fit in my training cycle? If the race in Oct/Nov or late March/early April, next question.
5. Have I already raced in this state? If no, then its a definite possibility!

Sometime last year there were rumors swirling in my running community that the Garmin Marathon in Olathe, Kansas was going to have Dorothy as the main character for their medal this year.

Quick back story - In the past, the half medal has been the Wicked Witch and the Full marathon medal has been rotating the other characters (Tin Man, Scare Crow and last year it was the Cowardly Lion).

Another quick story - I freaking love the Wizard of Oz! I've dressed up as Dorothy for Halloween 2 or 3 times, I've watched the movie countless times, and I've seen the musical Wicked 3 times!

Last year, the Hubbo and I and some of our running buddies drove up to Kansas and ran the half marathon. So now I have the Wicked Witch medal and when it was confirmed that the Full Marathon Medal would be Dorothy and I knew I had to sign up. And I did.

It only makes sense, right? If I'm not going to do this race again, this is a perfect set.
Wicked Witch + Dorothy
They are an iconic pair like, Romeo and Juliet, Popeye and Olive Oil, or Bonnie and Clyde!
You just can't have one without the other. You just can't. My brain can't comprehend it any other way.

I don't plan to do another full marathon anytime soon. So I won't be collecting the other characters. Sorry Scare Crow, Cowardly Lion, and Tin Man! Who knows if they will be doing the same thing over the next few years.

I don't plan on running any marathons for a while because this is me lately...
And that is how I ended up signing up for another marathon when I had no intentions of training for a full marathon two training cycles in a row.

I'm just here for the medal.

Question! Have you ever signed up for a race just for the medal?

Comments

04/06/2015 12:01pm

It's going to be a fun one! I really hope the weather is perfect. I have a feeling the Dorothy medal is HUGE! Look at the size of it, compared to the medal ribbon!

04/06/2015 5:47pm

It will be fun no matter what! The lion medal was huge last year so I'm guessing you're right about the size of this one! Can't wait to see you in person! :)

Donal
04/06/2015 7:29pm

I did the Route66 half a few years ago for that flying woman medal. I love that medal!!! I'm in the same boat as you...if #1 is a no, then I don't go

04/08/2015 2:36pm

Route 66 always has an awesome medal! I can't wait for the 10 year anniversary medal.But I'll be doing the half this time around.

04/13/2015 2:18pm

I decline to answer that question on the basis that it might incriminate me. Said the guy who ran a marathon after seeing Disney bling for the first time.

I think you will do great in Kansas, you'll see. And the bling is pretty cool. Wizard of Of... Kansas... How do they come up with this stuff? I'm holding my breath for an (extremely) bright green Emerald City medal. A huge one. After that I won't need lights for running at night, I'll just wear that.

04/15/2015 2:15pm

LOL I'll let you know if I see a medal like that!

Nothing wrong with being there for the bling. Especially when it's for something you love. That's part of what is spurring me to run a full marathon, other than just the next accomplishment and thing to accomplish, but I need to run a marathon to earn the Goofy Challenge medal, and he's my favorite Disney character since as long as I can remember.

04/16/2015 5:46pm

Do it! Everyone should run one in their life. It's a different ball game and it will give you a whole new outlook on the sport!
Plus Disney medals are always awesome! I need to do a Disney race too!

I have to admit, I'm a sucker for race bling. The PF changes marathon is starting a 4 year run of "puzzle piece", each year you'll get another piece to complete the puzzle. Definitely has me hooked.

04/22/2015 9:49pm

Oh man! I have to avoid races like that because I can't handle not completing the set! Ha!

Everyone wants’ to be a luxurious and the comfortable life this criteria might be possible if you got a lot of education and you should explore your vision like bright person.

06/28/2015 7:32am

information is undoubtedly pretty fascinating, after i truly liked, immediately after i might which consist of get additional concerning this, primarily since is usually amazingly pretty, many thanks relating to sharing

09/22/2015 7:03am

Surely a fantastic blog and observation is incredible for dispersal on this place and you will put on superior effects

02/06/2016 6:52pm

Sometimes we need to know such information in the spare time. Thanks.

02/27/2016 9:49pm

More children in public schools in the poorest areas of the country are categorized as in need of “special education” another liability in the path to transferring to a better performing school.

Sports and games are best and useful for everyone as these are best to keep a firm body and firm mind. Marathon and racing type of games are useful for everyone and it provides opportunity for the talented persons to show their talent among them. They have golden chance through this.

06/21/2016 1:51am

With its recent increase in popularity, it seems that everyone these days is getting plastic surgery. The most popular procedures – breast augmentation, facelifts and liposuction – all have something in common. All of these procedures seek to create a better look for the patient, as well as conforming to society's standards. Are these procedures really good for the client, or are they just a product of today's unrealistic ideal.many celebrity goes through it.many actress goes through it to present her better plastic surgery prices for more details go through <a href="http://botchedplasticsurgery.org/">plastic surgery prices</a> thanks.